Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie

So what did you think of the book? I loved it! There is something so irreverently real about Flavia. I have to confess that the idea of finding a dead body in my yard (of whom I had no relationship or knowledge) would be intriguing. Flavia's natural curiosity is one that I can relate to--though I don't know if I would admit to it. Perhaps that is why the author has chosen to make his main character a young girl who has net yet entered the realm of adult sensitivities. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the book too! It was fun to try and solve the mystery along with Flavia. Most eleven year olds do not think or speak like her though. I know she is supposed to be brilliant, but I thought the author may have overdone it in a few places. But at the same time, it was interesting to see her perspective in solving the crime compared to the police.

    One of my favorite quotes from the book is on pg. 58 where Flavia thinks: "...it occurred to me that Heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty-four hours a day seven days a week. No...eight days a week." I agree with Flavia. :)

    I'm looking forward to reading about Flavia's next adventure when the second book comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved the book. The author was brillant in his portrayal of Flavia. She facinated me, always wondering what she would do next. I love her thought process and the way she approached the investigation of the murder.

    I can't help be laugh at her science experiments on her sisters. I loved the poison ivy in the lip stick. I know each of us secertly would have loved to have such a creative and cleaver way of getting back at our brothers or sisters.

    I can't wait to see what Flavia gets herself into next. I am really looking forward to the next novel. This is now one of my new favorites:)

    ReplyDelete